Sunday, May 18, 2008

Surat

I am finally in Surat,entirely due to the requirements of my college,which is an industrial training after completion of 3rd year for a minimum of 50 'working' days. Now I can elaborate and waste my time about the ridiculous rule which will make me repeat this training or do another training for 20 days even if I am one day short of 50days, but i will refrain from it due to the obvious fact that the concept of logic is alien to a better part of administration in IIT Delhi.
The way everyone is desperate for intern of his/her choice before the end of semester is good enough to keep you amused for a good number of days. Every few days you get to hear cases,where a person who did his last year's intern in Australia is doing his intern this year in Ankleshwar or any such place. Thus,I did not keep my hopes high and for me ONGC, Hazira was almost the best I had hoped for in India.
Despite the fact that I have 'lived' in many places in India , I have not actually traveled to as many places as others. So,coming to Surat was new in many ways. I had not been to any place in West India before. Also the fact that my mode of transport was train made it exciting. Trains are quite normal to many people but I try not to waste any momnet when I m traveling in trains (I was traveling in train after 7 years ..!!)

The journey
Me
and my friend Gaurav were to board the August Kranti Rajdhani from Nizamuddin Railway Station at 16.55. The beginning was good as the train started at the exact time. Nothing much happened on the train ,except that despite our tickets being for 3rd AC, 2 persons did not board the train,so we enjoyed the luxury of 2nd AC in terms of space.(though due to tatkaal booking and the rule that the ticket can be booked only till the destination i.e. Mumbai,our tickets cost as much as a 2nd AC would). The food was not that great in the Rajdhani. Though I had the Kulhar wali dahi and badaam soup for the 1st time. We woke up at 5.15 am and reached Surat at 6.30am. (A suggestion- dont look out of the window when you are about to reach Surat near Tapi river. You will not like it.)

2 comments:

  1. i didn't know u travelled 2nd AC. that money spent on tatkal booking didn't really go to waste then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya..but really the experience was a let down as everybody was snoring in the night and the fact that we had to be awake when the train stopped at surat made me wake up in middle of the night many a times to check if we had reached there..

    ReplyDelete